Connecting a hardware device into your PC can report errors due to some of the common issues with your devices. These issues can be from your PC or from your USB device. People majorly face the issue of “USB device descriptor request failed”.
In this article we will share some of the methods which can help you fix this issue. It is a very common issue faced by many Windows 10 users. But there is nothing to worry, this is a very small issue which can be resolved easily. Follow the methods to solve this problem.
There are many possibilities for the error of USB devices, one of which is Hardware issue which means the problem is majorly in the computer hardware not in software nor in the USB device. To check what exactly the problem is with, follow the two easy processes to find out the hardware issue.
- The USB port which is used to establish a connection can be faulty and can create problems for the connection. The port can be broken or may not be working properly due to dust or any other reason. The user needs to replace or repair the port as soon as possible for future ease. In this case the user can check with another USB port to connect.
- The USB port can work fine but other supporting hardware can malfunction for the connection, in that case the user needs to check whether the USB device is able to connect on other computers. If yes then there is surely an issue with the internal hardware which needs to be repaired or replaced for future.
After these steps you can find the problem with the hardware. If it’s not the case then proceed with further steps to find the problem and its solution.
Plug out Power Supply
Plugging out power supply can also help the user in connection. Sometimes the error is due to the power supply, all you need to do is remove the power supply from the laptop. Remove only on the portable devices. While simply removing it and connecting the device can help you establish a connection.
If the problem persists then follow the below steps.
Uninstall the USB driver using the Device Manager
Having an old set of drivers can also create problems for the connection so it is always suggested to keep the driver updated. In some cases uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the updated ones can help in establishing the connection. Follow the steps below to fix USB device descriptor request failed error.
- Press Windows + R key together from your keyboard, run utility will start.
- In the search box type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and then click on ‘OK’. The device manager will open.
- In the ‘Universal Serial Bus Controller’ section choose the Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed).
- A menu will appear after choosing the option, click on the uninstall option on the list.
- Follow the instructions on the list to uninstall the drivers.
- After the drivers are uninstalled, reboot the device to save changes.
- After reboot the device will update the drivers automatically.
Following this method will solve the problem with the drivers in your computer and if the problem still remains then follow the steps to resolve using other methods.
Disable Fast Startup Option
- Press Windows + R keys from your keyboard at the same time to activate the run utility.
- Type ‘Control’ in the box and click the ‘OK’ button.
- Select the Power option from the list. The user can change the view from the ‘view by’ option for ease.
- Click on the ‘Choose what power button do’ .
- Now click on the ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’, after choosing this you need to permit the device to proceed.
- Under the ‘Shutdown Settings’ uncheck the ‘Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)’.
- Click on save changes and restart the device.
Remove USB and Scan for Hardware Changes
In the first method we have checked for hardware errors and you can use that to check for your hardware condition. Follow the steps to check for other problems.
- Open device manager
- Click on the ‘Action’ button at the top and select ‘Scan for Hardware Changes’ in the menu.
- Wait till the system scans and recognize the changes.
- After the process is complete then plug the USB device again and proceed.
With the above mentioned steps we hope that the error will be solved. We have listed the methods on the basis of the user preferences and ease to them. Follow the method which you feel will work.
Rest you can just go step by step from the beginning to check every bit about your computer and keep them perfectly fine for future. It is always recommended to restart the computer after any changes, restarting will save the changes in the computer permanently.