As we all know that OneDrive is a popular cloud storage platform owned by Microsoft that helps users to store all their data, documents, images etc. on cloud i.e. on the servers of Microsoft. This allows users to have anytime access to their data irrespective of the time, place or device.
Now, although Microsoft OneDrive is one of the widely used cloud storage applications, still for Windows users it seems that Microsoft wants to forcibly tie its users to this cloud storage service. And therefore as a Windows user you must have not only found Onedrive application pre-installed on your computer but also its icon always sitting in the taskbar and trying to backup your data automatically to its servers.
So, if you are not a big fan of Windows backup service or you are already using a cloud backup service like Dropbox(and in no mood to change it) and therefore looking for a way to stop onedrive backup then this article will help you out.
Why One Should Consider Disable OneDrive Backup
First thing first. Why one should consider disabling OneDrive backup. So here are few reasons for it.
- The first reason is to take control over your files. We all know that in Windows 10, OneDrive comes preinstalled with every Windows 10 installation and by default start syncing all your important data folders like Documents, Desktop and Picture folders, without even your notice. So if you do not wish the sync to happen, and don’t want your files to be backed up by OneDrive then it’s better to disable it.
- The second reason could be that you are already using a cloud backup program to store your files and you are in no mood to switch your backup to another cloud backup program.
- The third reason for you to disable OneDrive backup is that this application continuously runs in the background to sync your data and upload it to Microsoft servers, therefore consuming your network resources. So, if you are running on limited network resources i.e. if you are on a limited data plan or your connection is slow that OneDrive file syncing can impact your network speed and cost heavily.
- The fourth reason is that OneDrive by default starts automatically with the startup of your system and keeps on running in the background. So, if you are already running low on system resources then this will further degrade your system performance and increase the CPU and RAM usages.
So, if you are troubled by OneDrive high cpu usage on Windows 10 then the best solution is to disable OneDrive backup. How? Let’s learn by getting deep into the article.
How To Disable OneDrive File Sync
If you are not sure that the slowness of your system and network is due to OneDrive file sync then you can temporarily pause the syncing of files. This will prevent OneDrive program from uploading any of your local files to its servers.
- To pause file syncing in OneDrive, click on the OneDrive app icon located in the notification tray of windows taskbar. If you are unable to find its icon in the notification tray then you can even launch the app from the startup menu.
- Now, in the pop-up window of OneDrive, click on the More button. Next click on the Pause Syncing option and further click on the time you want to disable it. Select 2 hours, 8 hours, or 24 hours from the available time options.
Note: Using the above way you can disable the file sync for a maximum of 24 hours.
An alternate way to stop OneDrive file sync is by removing all the folders that it automatically backups. To do so click on OneDrive icon > More > Settings. Now click on the Account tab, and select on the Choose folders button.
Next, uncheck all folders along with the option, Make all files available. Press OK to save.
Note: This way can help you to disable permanent syncing of files to your OneDrive account.
This will stop OneDrive from automatically syncing files from your computer to your OneDrive account. We recommend you to further disable OneDrive from automatically starting with every Windows startup.
To do so click on OneDrive icon > More > Settings. Now click on the Settings tab, and uncheck the box that is next to, Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows. Press on the OK button to save the settings. Now, OneDrive will no longer launch automatically on the next startup.
After disabling automatic synchronization and startup, OneDrive is disabled completely. Now if you wish then you can go even further and unlink your account.
Unlink your OneDrive Account On Windows 10
Another quick and easy way to turn off OneDrive backup in Windows is to unlink it from your PC. This will prevent the syncing of your files to the OneDrive account and vice versa.
To unlink your OneDrive account follow these steps:
- Click on the OneDrive icon located in the notifications tray of Windows taskbar.
- Next, on the pop-up menu click on the More option > click the Settings option.
- Now in the Account tab of OneDrive settings window, click on the Unlink this PC option.
4. OneDrive will now ask you to confirm that you really want to unlink your PC from your OneDrive account.
5. Click on the Unlink account button to proceed.
Once you have confirmed, OneDrive will sign out on your PC. and no further changes will be uploaded to the OneDrive storage.
So folks this is how you can easily disable OneDrive backup on your Windows 10 computer. And once you have disabaled it, you are free to select any online backup storage platform as per your requirement.